About Signal A TransUnion® Company
Signal (www.signal.co) is the leading SaaS provider of data onboarding and real-time identity resolution. Signal’s technology platform empowers people-based marketers to enhance their customer experience by providing relevance across all channels, regardless of place or time.
Challenges with Cassandra Open Source
Signal, being an identity resolution platform, was looking to replace its existing data store, which was becoming increasingly expensive, unreliable, and nonperforming – affecting the bottom line. One of the biggest problems they were running into was large and unpredictable latency response as well as uptime, both of which were affecting every element of their business processes. They were experiencing more frequent and more severe issues and incidents, all related to an unreliable data store.
“Before Aerospike, we were spending more and more of our time on the care and feeding of Cassandra, and less and less time on the building of new product offerings. With Aerospike, we’ve now cleared the roadmap and we’re just focused on adding new functionality to our platform for our customers.”
Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer – Signal
- Cassandra clusters were difficult to maintain and took resources away from higher-value projects.
- Performance and uptime became unpredictable which negatively impacted the company’s SLA’s to its customer base.
- Planning for 25% data growth in addition to all of the care and feeding the CTO’s team was already conducting just to keep the existing Cassandra solution up and running prompted the search for a new solution.
- Significantly reduced operational footprint
- Reduction of infrastructure spend
- Regional architecture of five clusters
- Support real-time cross-datacenter replication across regions
- Improve p99 SLA’s to less than 10ms reads and less than 1s writes
Signal chose Aerospike for its low total cost of ownership, high performance at scale, and ease of scaling overall.
TCO reduction of 68%.
Aerospike was able to reduce Signal’s total cost of ownership (TCO) 68% over three years saving them millions of dollars.
100x performance improvement.
Signal’s p99s (99th percentile of performance) plunged from 3,900 milliseconds to 23 milliseconds, more than a 100x improvement.
Accelerate key business processes.
Processes that used to take six days now take only 14 hours – a 10x improvement.